Monday, October 17, 2011

Recipe Corner

Eggs with onion, garlic, and kale

I love kale.  Can't get enough of it.  So when I opened the fridge this morning and saw it sitting there I decided to add it to breakfast.

Ingredients:
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups of kale, chopped and thick stems removed
4 medium to large eggs
salt and pepper
olive oil

1.  Heat up a medium sized cast iron skillet to medium low temp.  Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil till warm.  Add onion and saute until soft add garlic and saute until fragrant.  Add kale to the skillet and a teaspoon of water if your kale is dry.  If you just rinsed it then it has enough water on the leaves already.  Cook until kale is wilted.  About 5 min.
2.  In a small bowl, scramble the eggs. 
3.  Season cooked kale with some salt and pepper to taste.
4.  Add eggs and cook as if cooking scrambled eggs.
5.  At this point they are ready to eat but today I had some whole wheat pita bread on the counter.  I decided to add a dash of Frank's hot pepper sauce and popped my scrambled eggs inside half a pita.  So good!

Makes 3-4 servings

Time saving tips:  You can cook the onions, garlic, and kale the night before and pop them in the fridge.  Then just heat them up a little in your pan before adding the eggs the next morning.  Also,  I put my pita half in my toaster for a few seconds to heat it up before I filled it with scrambled eggs.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment